Saturday, November 7, 2009

Building on Nature: The Life of Antoni Gaudi


Building on Nature: The Life of Antoni Gaudi by Rachel Rodriguez

This book is the story of Antoni Gaudi, an architect from Spain. It tells how Gaudi came to create buildings that imitated things he saw in nature.

I had never heard of Gaudi or any of his buildings, so the whole book was new information for me. I liked the simplicity of the text and way the author shows how Gaudi’s work evolves and grows, how he tries ideas no one has ever tried before.

An author’s note, a list of photos available online, and a bibliography in the back adds more information about Gaudi for those who are interested in learning more.

A bit:
“He designs a gate for his friend
Guell’s country home.
A dragon perches atop diamonds and squares,
baring his fangs and slithery tongue.
Gaudi’s creations get braver.”

Children’s comments:
Children always surprise me. The group of first graders who looked through this book loved it. They liked the buildings Gaudi made. They rated this book mostly 5’s and 3’s, with a couple of 1’s.

1 comment:

  1. Antoni Gaudí was catalan, not spanish. Catalonia is not Spain. We want a catalan state.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43831732350&ref=nf&v=wall

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.