Sunday, May 23, 2010

Whatcha Gonna Read This Summer?

Two more weeks of school and then I will have over a thousand hours to dream and read. Mostly read.

So what shall we read this summer?

We readers love lists. Here are a few:

Summer Reading for Kids
I just finished modifying my Summer Reading List for Kids. This is a work in progress and I welcome thoughts on additions or deletions from this list.

Want other people's ideas for kids? Try these.
Horn Book has compiled a summer reading list.
The National Endowment for the Humanities has a classically-minded summer reading list.
NPR calls its list A Cure for Kids' Summer Reading Doldrums.
The Texas Library Association offers reading lists for kids, including the 2x2 List (for two year olds through second grade), the Bluebonnet List (for third through sixth graders), the Lone Star List (junior high students), and the Tayshas List (for high school students).


Summer Reading for Grownups
What about us grownups? What are good ideas for us this summer?
Oprah has a summer reading list. NPR came out with a summer reading list also. The Texas Library Association, for the first time, has created a recommended list of reads for adults which it calls the Lariat List.


How about a video to get us going?  Here's the wonderful Gotta Keep Reading from Ocoee Middle School:



What have I finished this week? (And last week...I'm a little behind....) I'll be posting reviews of these books later today at my other blog.

10 comments:

  1. I'm going through your summer reading list for kids and I think it's great that you added Minnie and Moo to your list. My daughter loved that series last year. I wish Cazet would write more books about the pair.

    Here's a few books that my children have read recently and enjoyed:

    Nate the Great series by Marjorie Sharmat

    Looking like Me by Walter Dean Myers

    Luke on the Loose by Harry Bliss

    A Good Day by Kevin Henkes

    Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

    Little Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman

    Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babitt

    Carmine by Melissa Sweet

    Jellaby by Kean Soo

    Please let us know when you finish the list. I plan on printing it out and sharing it with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for all the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a set list but I definitely want to cover more translated fiction. There's also the Nonstructured Book Club that I'm a part of with several other bloggers. We'll be reading one book a month until November. Anyone interested is welcome to join us at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading lists, so I will definitely check out some of these.

    I've got a list of books that I want to read this year, but I haven't put together anything specific for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to check out your reading lists for the kids! Thank you so much for those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. Reading lists. I don't need any more...thank you very much. I have enough on my plate :). But thanks for thinking of us in case we don't have too many books already. Always good to have ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lariat list sounds well worth a visit, thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard good things about Get Lucky.. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Get Lucky author. Great summer reading.

    http://www.goodreads.com/m/book/6785581-get-lucky

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are great lists. there are so many great books coming this summer! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.