I ran across the coolest challenge today. The challenge actually took place on August 10th, but I'm jumping in, even at this late date.
Read and Refine: Building a Learning Community together with Enjoy and Embrace Learning issued a challenge: Name the ten picture books without which you would not want to teach.
And here's the result: 10 for 10. I've just barely looked around, but these appear to be fantastic lists. I hope to make my own list soon.
UPDATE: My Own List!
How can I possibly pick just ten books?! Impossible, really. So I decided to pick ten picture books that I've recently discovered from 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. Here goes....
1. Not Now, Bernard by David McKee
2. Come Away from the Water, Shirley by John Birmingham
3. The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr
4. Crictor by Tomi Ungerer
5. Mister Magnolia by Quentin Blake
6. Dogger by Shirley Hughes
7. Who's Seen the Scissors? by Fernando Krahn
8. Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd
9. The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont
10. Window by Jeannie Baker
How have so many wonderful picture books eluded me until now??!!