It's ironic that the Sunday Salon has
this lovely picture of a nice, warm sun as its icon.
I did not see much sun during the past few weeks.
I've been in Siberia.
I've been reading Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier.
I discovered there is more to Siberia
than the terrible cold and the terrible prisons:
1. It can be quite warm and horribly mosquito-ey in August.
2. People throw trash everywhere. Even in camping areas.
3. There is a lot of drinking. Drinking and throwing up.
Drinking and passing out. Even children.
4. Cars break down a lot in Siberia. Like every day.
5. It's pretty common to get cholera and food poisoning.
Despite all these terrible things,
Ian Frazier loves Siberia.
And, because he was my guide
on my first visit to Siberia,
I love it, too.
What have you been reading this week?