Saturday, December 1, 2012

I Read 100 Books in Eight Weeks

It's been quiet around Readerbuzz lately. I've been busy. Reading. Reading one hundred books.

I love being a Cybils Award judge. This is my fifth year. I'm a children's nonfiction picture book judge. An even one hundred books were nominated for the children's nonfiction picture book Cybils Award. I've been busy searching for the nominees at the library. As I've found them, I've been reading them.

Many of these are recent publications, so not all of these books can be found yet in libraries. That makes the finding and reading and reviewing difficult. Fortunately publishers come to the rescue and send review copies.

So far I've found 42 at the library and I've received 51 from publishers. I have seven left to go.

Here's what my stack looks like:


I've read some fabulous books this year, books about baby dolphins and the many colors of monkeys, silk and the construction of the White House, bats and Chinese voyager Zheng He, Texas wildflower legends and the real creator of Batman, rocks and dancer Josephine Baker. Everything from symmetry to poop, and everything in between.

Now I just need to find those last seven books and get busy reviewing. Wish me luck.



The Sunday Salon is open to anyone who'd like to discuss books of a Sunday (or, frankly, any other day of the week). We've actually been around for some years -- see http://dhamel.typepad.com/sundaysalon/ -- but managing the group via that site became a problem because of its size and we had to limit membership to a little over 500 members. I'm now throwing the doors open to anyone who'd like to participate. Discuss what you're reading here, or link to relevant blog posts, or comment on one another's posts. Enjoy.



To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme 
post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken
then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at At Home With Books.

32 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet you've got a tough decision ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is impressive! I just finished reading my 120th book of the YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another "Wow!" A tough decision--but a what a great one to have to make.

    Thanks for stopping by my snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! I would love to be a Cybils judge some day, but must admit that the amount of books you guys read is a bit intimidating. I'd still love to take a crack at it at some point in the future if I get so lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew...and I thought I read a lot! Well done, and good luck on those last few!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that I can help you get them, but I'm wondering what the last seven books are. Are they all in print?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the seven came in at the library yesterday, so I'm down to six. All six are recent publications. Some of them are being processed at the public library. Some are (I'm told) "in the mail." Who knows if these will be available in time for the competition?

      Delete
  7. That's some stack! It's an extraordinary effort on your behalf. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a lot of fun but I don't envy you the task of actually making a decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know how I'll ever make a decision. I've added 25 so far to my shortlist.

      Delete
  9. Impressive task! Love the look of that stack, too. Enjoy!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on all the wows. You rock, my fellow Sunday Saloner! :) Good luck on finding those last seven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always amazed at how much you read! I can't wait to see which books end up winning. Is it okay if I send you a holiday card? I think I have you address around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific honor! It must be such a tough decision to pick the best of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How great for you. I am really enjoying adding childrens books to my reading mix. Have a great week Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a true reading maniac!!! I admire you so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I can't read 100 books in a year! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You are a reaching MACHINE.

    ♥ aquariann
    Featured Photo: Autumn Sunset

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.