Tuesday, September 29, 2015

If You Like Ken Robinson, Here are Some Great Books about Teaching

There are 49.5 million students and 3.1 million teachers here in America. 

I am a teacher. I have been teaching since 1977. 

Most of us teachers know we can do better. Many of us love to read stories about schools and education and teaching.

Here are some I have loved....

There Are No Shortcuts by Rafe Esquith

Raising the Curve:
A Year Inside One of America's 45,000 Failing Public Schools
by Ron Berler

Tested: One American School Struggles to Make the Grade
by Linda Perlstein

Teachers Have It Easy: The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers

Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year by Esme Raji Codell

Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul
by Stuart Brown

Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever
by Mem Fox

Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence by Daniel Goleman

Improbable Scholars: 
The Rebirth of a Great American School System and a Strategy for America's Schools 
by David L. Kirp

The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way
by Amanda Ripley

Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America
by Paul Tough

How Children Succeed: 
Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
by Paul Tough


Others you recommend?


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

13 comments:

  1. I almost read The Smartest Kids after seeing it at Barnes & Noble, but I never did end up getting it. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting choices! I should look up some of these. I'm interested in the way people learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look like interesting choices. My daughter is majoring in Social Science Education with a minor in sports theory with a goal of being a high school history teacher. I'll have to send this list to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how while reading Focus, I wasn't able to focus. :-) How Children Succeed is an excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I love the title Teachers Have it Easy. haha. I'm a teacher, too. Good list :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool list! :) Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! That's pretty much all new to me!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for those titles! I've read Reading Magic and Focus, and am always downloading samples of teaching books from Amazon. Some inspiring ones were Whole-Brain Teaching, The Daily Cafe and all the Ron Clark books. I'm off to add your list now!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.