Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Book Quotes I Love from the Last Year

“You know what I like about you, Ultraviolet Remarkey-able? Everything.” 
― Jennifer NivenAll the Bright Places


------------------------------------------------------------------



“It may have been observed that there is no regular path for getting out of love as there is for getting in. Some people look upon marriage as a short cut that way, but it has been known to fail.” ― Thomas HardyFar from the Madding Crowd


------------------------------------------------------------------

“Texas was where the action was. It became a lodestar, pulling an enormous number of the men—Sam Houston, Davy Crockett, James Bowie, and others—who were already in some way legends on the old frontier. As one historian wrote, Texas seemed to cast some sort of spell, to make men who were cold, pragmatic, and opportunist in the main, want to go and die.”
― T.R. FehrenbachLone Star: A History of Texas and the Texans



------------------------------------------------------------------

“You'll see, you'll come to understand. These big things, these terrible things, are not the important ones. If they were, how could one go on living? No, it is the small, little things that make up a day, that bring fullness and happiness to a life.” 
---Benedict FreedmanMrs. Mike



------------------------------------------------------------------

“It was dusk - winter dusk. Snow lay white and shining over the pleated hills, and icicles hung from the forest trees. Snow lay piled on the dark road across Willoughby Wold, but from dawn men had been clearing it with brooms and shovels. There were hundreds of them at work, wrapped in sacking because of the bitter cold, and keeping together in groups for fear of the wolves, grown savage and reckless from hunger.” 
― Joan AikenThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase



------------------------------------------------------------------

“We mortals, men and women, devour many a disappointment between breakfast and dinner-time; keep back the tears and look a little pale about the lips, and in answer to inquiries say, "Oh, nothing!" Pride helps; and pride is not a bad thing when it only urges us to hide our hurts— not to hurt others.” 
― George EliotMiddlemarch



------------------------------------------------------------------

“Born on third base, my daddy always said of the well off, and they think they hit a home run.” 
― Mary KarrLit



------------------------------------------------------------------

“What hurts so bad about youth isn't the actual butt whippings the world delivers. It's the stupid hopes playacting like certainties.” 
― Mary KarrLit



------------------------------------------------------------------

“A dysfunctional family is any family with more than one person in it.” 
― Mary KarrThe Liars' Club


------------------------------------------------------------------

“You do not think much of me, do you, Cogburn?"

"I don't think about you at all when your mouth is closed.” 
 

------------------------------------------------------------------

“Good-by, Good-by, world. Good-by, Grover's Corners... Mama and Papa. Good-by to clocks ticking... and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths...and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you.” 


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't thought about Mrs. Mike since I was in middle school! Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you and I chose the same quote from Middlemarch! *high fives* There were so many great quotes from that book...I've also been meaning to revisit Far from the Madding Crowd; didn't quite enjoy it the first time around and am hoping that a re-read will change my opinion. Great selection of quotes!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to reread Old Town soon. I read it in 7th grade and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great quotes but wow have I not read or some heard of these books. Still the quotes make me want to check them out. My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  5. You read Mrs. Mike last year? How did I miss that review?!??! I love, love, love that book; have read it numerous, numerous times. :-)

    Love these quotes. Great idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it took me 58 years to get around to reading Mrs. Mike. Hope nobody else waits that long.

      Delete
  6. These made my heart swell! What lovely quotes from lovely books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the Bright Places made it to my list too. Well, kind of, since it was an honorary mention but it still counts. It was a different quote though. I loved that book. I love your fourth quote too, I have to pick up Mrs. Mike sometime soon.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Benedict Freeman quote about the small things in life. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I like the quote from The Liars' Club!!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the second quote by Maya Karr. It is so spot on. Thank you for sharing these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat list! Thanks for stopping by mine, sorry it too so long for the comment back!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.